Skip to main content

Holding Happiness in the Same Hand with Rage


If only certain people had been given a ukulele when they were young. Little Charlie Grassley, plucking out a tune. Young Lindsey Graham, strumming "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Who knows what might have been different? If they'd been given something fun and encouraged to be happy ...

Is this an appropriate time to talk about happiness? With all the cruelty we're seeing, all the trauma that is being triggered? 

Abso-ukulele-lutely.

Happiness can't be something that we put on pause when things get bad. Happiness isn't what we get after we make the world better, it's one of the tools we'll use to make the world better.

Our founding fathers enshrined it in the Declaration of Independence, saying that it was self-evident that we all had a right to pursue happiness.

Well, actually, they said that men had that right, and what they meant was that white men had that self-evident right, but I'm NOT GOING TO GO THERE THIS WEEK.

In setting it up as a thing to pursue, they were laying it out as an object, a goal. And conventional logic has held that happiness is what we get after we get success in some area.

But research is turning up the opposite. That happiness often comes first, and leads to success. There is a happiness advantage -- being happy makes us more creative, better problem solvers, often correlates to better physical health, and makes others more interested in working with us.

And yet, we resist happiness. Have you noticed that?

There are different reasons why we resist happiness, but I think one of the more significant reasons is because we are suspicious and superstitious about happiness.

My dad was an optimist, but he would often say, "I don't trust happiness." Because life had dealt him some unpleasant hands, you know? I wonder if part of this is just evolutionary. We humans look for patterns. That's good -- our survival depends on it. You eat a poisonous mushroom, get sick, and so you look for a pattern. What was I doing before I got sick? Oh yes, eating a strange mushroom. Hmm. I should probably be wary of strange mushrooms.

We're just going along, and then something bad happens. A diagnosis. A relationship ending. Job loss. All we know is that we are really unhappy. And so we think back ... what was happening before I was unhappy? Oh yeah. Things were good. Really good. And then this thing happened. THAT'S IT! THINGS BEING GOOD MEANS SOMETHING BAD IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN!

We are not the most logical of beings. But I know I'm not the only person to realize that things are going well in my life, actually, they're pretty great on many levels and OH MY GOD, THE ANXIETY! BECAUSE THINGS ARE GREAT AND SO THIS MEANS SOMETHING BAD IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN!

Part of this is the (incorrect) belief that happiness happens in the absence of other emotions. Like you are either happy OR sad. Things are either good OR bad.

But if we think about our own experiences, I think we can rebut that pretty quickly. We are complex creatures, and life is complicated. As that great theologian Dolly Parton says, "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion."

Someone you love dies, and you're heartbroken. But if they died gently and after a life well-lived, you're happy. Both.

Your child goes off to college. You're sad. You won't see them on a daily basis, and you have to acknowledge that one significant phase of your life -- and relationship -- is over. And they call you up and tell you how great their professors are, and that they're making new friends, and they are so very glad they're there. Happy and sad. All held together in one hand.


And ... mad. 


Right now, I am filled with rage. The testimony of Brett Kavanaugh, the public mocking of Dr. Ford, and the fact that there are apparently no consequences for the misogyny I see have me so mad I'm stroking my collarbones hopefully.

I can feel rage and happiness at the same time. 

Because yes, I am burning on fire with rage, but I can also identify the feeling of happiness in me. When I see others sharing their stories. When I see good people listening to the stories and believing the survivor. This is power. The arc IS long and we are bringing our stories to bear down upon it. It will bend toward justice.

As I told the congregation I serve, when you tell me your story, my heart may break because of what you endured. But it will also sing, because you survived. The world is so much better with you in it.

And I can sit here, honest to my emotions, holding fury and happiness right in the same hand.

I am large, I contain multitudes.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me and My Collar

You may run into me on a Friday, in my neighborhood, so it's time I let you know what you might see. When I was doing my required unit of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE), my supervisor suggested that any of us who came from traditions where a clerical collar was an option, take one "collar week," to see how we were treated, as opposed to wearing regular professional clothes. After a couple of days, I joked to the Catholic priest, "How do you manage the power?" In regular clothes, I would walk into a patient's room, and it would take about 5 or so minutes of introductions and pleasantries before we could really get down to talking about their feelings, their fears, the deep stuff. With most people, as soon as that clerical collar walked in the room, with me attached, they began pouring out all the heavy stuff they were carrying. I was riding the bus back and forth every day, and though not quite so dramatic, the collar effect was alive there, to

Beloved Community: The Now and Not Yet

Rev. Christine Robinson has a great little post up about the phrase "beloved community" and why it's problematic to use that to describe a church. Like her mom, I can get cranky about the whole thing, but my crankiness lies in the misuse of what is, to me, such a breathtaking and profound concept. Martin Luther King, Jr., someone whose words I study in great detail, is the one we often think of as originating the term, but he learned about it through the writings of Josiah Royce. Josiah Royce (right) with close friend William James.  Royce was a philosopher, studying Kant, Hegel. I imagine he would have enjoyed Koestler's theory of the holon , because he saw humanity as being both individuals and part of a greater "organism" that was community. As King's belief about Beloved Community would be rooted in agape , Royce's philosophy stemmed from what he called loyalty, and by that he meant, "the practically devoted love of an individual f

To Love the Hell Out of the World

To love the hell out of the world means to love it extravagantly, wastefully, with an overpouring abandon and fervor that sometimes surprises even yourself. That love flows out of you, sometimes slow and steady, sometimes in a torrent, sometimes filled with joy, sometimes with fierceness, or anger, or a heartbreaking pain that makes you say, "No, no, I can't take this anymore. I can't do anymore. It's too much ... too much." But it's too late. You've opened up your own heart, your own mind, body, and strength, and yes, it is too much. But there's also so much love that comes crashing down on you, gifts from the Heavens in the form of the smiles and cares from others, a giggle burbling up from a toddler's fat little belly, the soft, sweet smell of star jasmine catching you unaware, not knowing where it came from ... but it's here. And you're here. And just to live, just to exist, swells your heart with enough gratitude and love that you mu