Skip to main content

The Pandemic Is (Hopefully) Ending ... Why Am I Not Happy?


We are still in the tunnel, but we can see the light at the end of it. Many of our loved ones, or even us, are getting the vaccine. And yet, we may feel ... melancholy. Anxious. Weirdly sad.

It’s not weird.

It’s normal.

When my daughter was 3, she had cancer, round two. This meant a schedule of every couple of weeks, packing clothes, toys, snacks and more, and heading to the hospital to stay for a week. It was grueling. It was scary. The outcome wasn’t assured. So many nights, after she went to sleep, I cried into my pillow.

And then, we were going in for our last stay. It was about to be all over. THANK GOD.

And ...

I felt anxious. I hated watching those drops of chemo (poison) drip into her little body, but I also loved those drops of chemo (liquid miracles). While the chemo was going on, I had some feeling of soldiers fighting off the enemy. Protection. And now ... we were going to be flying without a net.

I felt cranky. We had a routine. Go to the grocery store, load up on food for our hospital stay, pack the toys, pack clothes for her and me, pack cupcakes for nurses and fellow patients’ families, drive downtown, get a giant dolly, load ‘er up, get admitted, get the IV pole, unpack in the room, put up the laminated posters, put on a video. It was a horrible, exhausting routine, but it was our routine, dammit, and it was familiar. I knew what to do. And now ... I would be untethered. Unsure what to do each day.

I felt sad. We got to know all the nurses and aides and custodians. We knew some of the other families. We saw each other all the time. How could I just walk away, never (hopefully) to see them again?

I felt guilty. We got to go home. Other families didn’t. And some, during our time in CancerLand, went home without someone, their lives forever emptier. How dare I complain about anything? We were, as well-meaning friends who didn’t live in CancerLand reminded us, “lucky.”

I felt scared.

So scared.

Because there was protection in living our cloistered existence. If she got so much as a sniffle, there was someone to run a test and instantly tell what was happening in her body. But we also were protected from the outside world. Even at home, there were few visitors and lots of handwashing. And of course, I was so scared of The Worst coming back.

I have never talked to any fellow member of TeamCancerParent who hasn't felt some of this. Years later, we talk about it, the weird feeling of both pain at what we went through, and a nostalgic feeling for the way our lives had a singular, powerful purpose and so many small things were just unimportant.

The way I see it, if you can feel sad about leaving Childhood Cancer, you can feel sad regarding just about anything. And I imagine there are parallels in all of this to our anticipation of the post-pandemic times.

It's not weird. (But it can feel weird.)

It's normal. (In a world where we no longer know what normal means.)


Tomorrow: Post-pandemic and the Expectations of Others


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Me and My Collar

You may run into me on a Friday, in my neighborhood, so it's time I let you know what you might see. When I was doing my required unit of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE), my supervisor suggested that any of us who came from traditions where a clerical collar was an option, take one "collar week," to see how we were treated, as opposed to wearing regular professional clothes. After a couple of days, I joked to the Catholic priest, "How do you manage the power?" In regular clothes, I would walk into a patient's room, and it would take about 5 or so minutes of introductions and pleasantries before we could really get down to talking about their feelings, their fears, the deep stuff. With most people, as soon as that clerical collar walked in the room, with me attached, they began pouring out all the heavy stuff they were carrying. I was riding the bus back and forth every day, and though not quite so dramatic, the collar effect was alive there, to

Beloved Community: The Now and Not Yet

Rev. Christine Robinson has a great little post up about the phrase "beloved community" and why it's problematic to use that to describe a church. Like her mom, I can get cranky about the whole thing, but my crankiness lies in the misuse of what is, to me, such a breathtaking and profound concept. Martin Luther King, Jr., someone whose words I study in great detail, is the one we often think of as originating the term, but he learned about it through the writings of Josiah Royce. Josiah Royce (right) with close friend William James.  Royce was a philosopher, studying Kant, Hegel. I imagine he would have enjoyed Koestler's theory of the holon , because he saw humanity as being both individuals and part of a greater "organism" that was community. As King's belief about Beloved Community would be rooted in agape , Royce's philosophy stemmed from what he called loyalty, and by that he meant, "the practically devoted love of an individual f

To Love the Hell Out of the World

To love the hell out of the world means to love it extravagantly, wastefully, with an overpouring abandon and fervor that sometimes surprises even yourself. That love flows out of you, sometimes slow and steady, sometimes in a torrent, sometimes filled with joy, sometimes with fierceness, or anger, or a heartbreaking pain that makes you say, "No, no, I can't take this anymore. I can't do anymore. It's too much ... too much." But it's too late. You've opened up your own heart, your own mind, body, and strength, and yes, it is too much. But there's also so much love that comes crashing down on you, gifts from the Heavens in the form of the smiles and cares from others, a giggle burbling up from a toddler's fat little belly, the soft, sweet smell of star jasmine catching you unaware, not knowing where it came from ... but it's here. And you're here. And just to live, just to exist, swells your heart with enough gratitude and love that you mu