Skip to main content

The Purpose of Fear, Part 3

When have you fought fear? When did you decide that you were not going to let it keep you from doing something you needed to do?

I don't know that I ever really have. I've dealt with fear, accepted fear, even learned how to walk alongside it.

But now I find it is exerting too much control. It is no longer willing to be an occasional guide, it is encroaching upon control. It seeks to lead, to depress my ability to make moral decisions out of my best thinking, out of the principles I have chosen to live by.

Am I afraid? Yes, I am afraid.

Afraid that this virus is even more powerful than we know. Afraid that the predatory economic system we have created will not be able to adjust to this weight, and will collapse, taking all of us along with it. Afraid, viscerally afraid, that I or people I love will suffer.

This last month, fear has grown like the mythic beasts of old. It is not just me, I hear it in the words of others. We can't think. We can't sleep. When we do drift off, it is to nightmares.

I refuse.

I refuse to allow fear to set up a permanent room in my house. There is too much work to be done. Love requires our action more than it ever has before, it is time to roll up our sleeves and get ready to be the hands and feet and voices of love. Perfect love casts out fear, and Fear, you are being evicted. I am choosing to diminish your power, Fear. I will face facts, face reality, but I do not have time to sit and converse with you. You have overstayed your welcome.

I will give my time to Love. Love has requirements I willingly work to fulfill, to act for justice, work for compassion, and walk humbly, aligned with the values I have committed myself to.

Fear, I will not give you my time.

I do not cede control of my life to the forces of fear that surround me.

"Fear exists for one purpose: to be conquered."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me and My Collar

You may run into me on a Friday, in my neighborhood, so it's time I let you know what you might see. When I was doing my required unit of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE), my supervisor suggested that any of us who came from traditions where a clerical collar was an option, take one "collar week," to see how we were treated, as opposed to wearing regular professional clothes. After a couple of days, I joked to the Catholic priest, "How do you manage the power?" In regular clothes, I would walk into a patient's room, and it would take about 5 or so minutes of introductions and pleasantries before we could really get down to talking about their feelings, their fears, the deep stuff. With most people, as soon as that clerical collar walked in the room, with me attached, they began pouring out all the heavy stuff they were carrying. I was riding the bus back and forth every day, and though not quite so dramatic, the collar effect was alive there, to

Beloved Community: The Now and Not Yet

Rev. Christine Robinson has a great little post up about the phrase "beloved community" and why it's problematic to use that to describe a church. Like her mom, I can get cranky about the whole thing, but my crankiness lies in the misuse of what is, to me, such a breathtaking and profound concept. Martin Luther King, Jr., someone whose words I study in great detail, is the one we often think of as originating the term, but he learned about it through the writings of Josiah Royce. Josiah Royce (right) with close friend William James.  Royce was a philosopher, studying Kant, Hegel. I imagine he would have enjoyed Koestler's theory of the holon , because he saw humanity as being both individuals and part of a greater "organism" that was community. As King's belief about Beloved Community would be rooted in agape , Royce's philosophy stemmed from what he called loyalty, and by that he meant, "the practically devoted love of an individual f

To Love the Hell Out of the World

To love the hell out of the world means to love it extravagantly, wastefully, with an overpouring abandon and fervor that sometimes surprises even yourself. That love flows out of you, sometimes slow and steady, sometimes in a torrent, sometimes filled with joy, sometimes with fierceness, or anger, or a heartbreaking pain that makes you say, "No, no, I can't take this anymore. I can't do anymore. It's too much ... too much." But it's too late. You've opened up your own heart, your own mind, body, and strength, and yes, it is too much. But there's also so much love that comes crashing down on you, gifts from the Heavens in the form of the smiles and cares from others, a giggle burbling up from a toddler's fat little belly, the soft, sweet smell of star jasmine catching you unaware, not knowing where it came from ... but it's here. And you're here. And just to live, just to exist, swells your heart with enough gratitude and love that you mu