Skip to main content

Wordle, Wishes and Boundaries

 Wordle, Wishes, and Boundaries


In the beginning was the Wordle. 


Some people liked it, and some people didn’t. And then more people liked it, and they began posting about it on social media, especially Facebook. And so then more people found out about it. Some people liked it, some people didn’t. 


So, what can we learn about systems theory from the current zeitgeist of Wordle? 


First things to understand: 

  1. There will not be an objective truth that is universally agreed upon. Is Wordle good, is it bad, should people share or not share … this is all immaterial. The issue is:
  2. What are your wishes?
  3. What are your boundaries? 


A wish is something you’d like, but in healthy relationships, it is not an expectation. It is not a boundary. I sort of wish my spouse liked Brussels sprouts so we could share in my delight, but he doesn’t, and that’s okay. He’s happy for me to eat all of them. 


A boundary is something so important that you create a consequence if your boundary is not honored. Boundaries aren’t boundaries without consequences, they’re just wishes. 


So … Wordle. 


Jane posts her Wordle scores on her Facebook feed. (And that’s okay.*)


John doesn’t like seeing Wordle scores and says so, on his Facebook page. (And that’s okay.)


Jane sees John’s post and takes it as a wish, since he hasn’t indicated any consequences for those posting Wordle scores. She still wants to share her score, so she continues posting them. (Okay)


John posts that if anyone posts their Wordle scores, he is going to “snooze” them for 30 days. This is GREAT, because he is being clear with a) his boundary, and b) the consequences


But wait wait wait, someone might say. People are posting on their own page! How can he make a boundary about what other people do? 


Because that’s how boundaries work. Boundaries do not go through a machine where they are stamped “good boundary” or “bad boundary.” They are a choice that an individual makes. What is is healthy in the above example of John is that he articulates the consequence. By doing that, Jane can now make an informed choice: if she posts her Wordle score, the consequence will be that John “snoozes” her. Is she okay with that consequence? Then post away, Jane! 


In this, everyone can make informed choices. 


So let’s proceed with the story. Jane continues posting her scores. John snoozes her, but then seethes inside. “If you cared about me, you wouldn’t post your score,” he thinks. The next time he sees her at work, he is cold. 


Okay, so that is an unarticulated consequence, based in an expectation: 

Expectation: if you want to be my friend, you will do what I want.

Unarticulated consequence: if you don’t do what I want, I will withdraw my friendship from you. 


Not healthy. 


Let’s go another direction. Back where John initially posts that he doesn’t like seeing Wordle posts (but hasn’t yet set a boundary.)


Jane sees his post and feels some anxiety that she’s posting her scores, and he doesn’t want to see them. But she still wants to keep posting her scores. So she creates a Facebook filter and puts John on it. Now he can’t see any of her posts. Great? 


Not great. This is overfunctioning, and she is taking choices away from John. She is in his dance space. Now, communication is a great thing. She absolutely could have a discussion with him. “Hey, I saw your post about not liking to see Wordle posts. Would you like me to put you on a filter so you don’t see any of my posts for a while?”


John: “No, I like your posts about communistic anarchy and your new kitten. Can you just stop posting about Wordle?” (Wish)


Jane: “No, I enjoy sharing my scores and seeing others’ scores.” (Boundary)


John: Well, is there a way you can just filter me out of your wordle posts?


Jane: I can try. I usually play in the morning, though, so I’m not sure I’ll always remember.


John: Okay, we can try that. 


John has expressed a wish, Jane has given boundaries around what she’s willing and not willing to do. Most importantly, they’ve communicated directly to each other. 


And of course, there are many other solutions. John could google, “Can I filter out wordle posts on Facebook” and take responsibility for his own feed. Jane could post her scores on Twitter. They could both decide to go jump on whatever will be the next fad. 


Wishes … are just that, wishes. My mom is in her 90s. My sister-in-law and I both play Wordle every day and compare our experiences. I wish my Mom would join us in playing Wordle. She doesn’t want to. 


AND THAT’S OKAY. 



*Actually, “okay” is a value judgment and unnecessary, but for clarity’s sake about behavior, I’m putting it in. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me and My Collar

You may run into me on a Friday, in my neighborhood, so it's time I let you know what you might see. When I was doing my required unit of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE), my supervisor suggested that any of us who came from traditions where a clerical collar was an option, take one "collar week," to see how we were treated, as opposed to wearing regular professional clothes. After a couple of days, I joked to the Catholic priest, "How do you manage the power?" In regular clothes, I would walk into a patient's room, and it would take about 5 or so minutes of introductions and pleasantries before we could really get down to talking about their feelings, their fears, the deep stuff. With most people, as soon as that clerical collar walked in the room, with me attached, they began pouring out all the heavy stuff they were carrying. I was riding the bus back and forth every day, and though not quite so dramatic, the collar effect was alive there, to

Beloved Community: The Now and Not Yet

Rev. Christine Robinson has a great little post up about the phrase "beloved community" and why it's problematic to use that to describe a church. Like her mom, I can get cranky about the whole thing, but my crankiness lies in the misuse of what is, to me, such a breathtaking and profound concept. Martin Luther King, Jr., someone whose words I study in great detail, is the one we often think of as originating the term, but he learned about it through the writings of Josiah Royce. Josiah Royce (right) with close friend William James.  Royce was a philosopher, studying Kant, Hegel. I imagine he would have enjoyed Koestler's theory of the holon , because he saw humanity as being both individuals and part of a greater "organism" that was community. As King's belief about Beloved Community would be rooted in agape , Royce's philosophy stemmed from what he called loyalty, and by that he meant, "the practically devoted love of an individual f

To Love the Hell Out of the World

To love the hell out of the world means to love it extravagantly, wastefully, with an overpouring abandon and fervor that sometimes surprises even yourself. That love flows out of you, sometimes slow and steady, sometimes in a torrent, sometimes filled with joy, sometimes with fierceness, or anger, or a heartbreaking pain that makes you say, "No, no, I can't take this anymore. I can't do anymore. It's too much ... too much." But it's too late. You've opened up your own heart, your own mind, body, and strength, and yes, it is too much. But there's also so much love that comes crashing down on you, gifts from the Heavens in the form of the smiles and cares from others, a giggle burbling up from a toddler's fat little belly, the soft, sweet smell of star jasmine catching you unaware, not knowing where it came from ... but it's here. And you're here. And just to live, just to exist, swells your heart with enough gratitude and love that you mu